Monday, January 27, 2014

Frozen Oatmeal

I do not like oatmeal.  I never had.  Oatmeal cookie? Sure.  Oatmeal granola?  Sure.  Oatmeal? Blech!  That is until I decided to reach outside of my comfort zone and try something new. 

 I don't have a lot of time in the morning so making something on the actual stove and not in the microwave is kind of out of the question.  I have tried instant oatmeal packets and they have not brought me over to their side.  Too processed, too much sugar, too artificial tasting.

Recently, however, I found a recipe on Pinterest (seriously, does anyone find new ideas anywhere else?) for frozen oatmeal pucks and thought that maybe I should try them.   They would save time in the morning, they would be less processed and probably better for me overall.  So I made them and, surprise, surprise, I really like them.  I have amde a few minor changes from the original recipe, so I am going to post my version here:




    6 1/2 cups water
    4 cups rolled oats
    1 pinch salt
    2 tbsp butter
    1/2 cup brown sugar
    1/4 cup real maple syrup
   
Instructions

 -- Bring water to a boil and add oats. Turn heat down to med and stir until thickens (it will thicken more as it cools) about 5-7 mins. Add butter, brown sugar, and maple syrup and stir. Taste and add more sugar or syrup to taste.
--Grease a muffin tin with non-stick spray. Fill tin with oatmeal almost to the top.
--Then put them in the freezer for a few hours or overnight until they are frozen little pucks! Take them out of the freezer and pop them out of the tin.
-- Store in a ziplock bag

 To reheat: take 1 or 2 pucks out of the freezer and put them in a microwave safe bowl with 2-3 Tbsp of water.  Heat for 3 minutes.




I like to stir in some flax seeds and some chia seeds and voila!  I have a breakfast that really keeps me full until lunch.


No comments: